Girls Rising Onto Womanhood
Focusing on building social and academic skills in the girls of today to be the women of tomorrow.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Pursuit of Mentoring

The Pursuit of Mentoring event through Leadership Roanoke Valley was an amazing experience for all of us. Brittani and Brianna attended the event as the spokeswomen for G.R.O.W. Both of the girls also worked the G.R.O.W. booth, introducing community members to our program. While there, each girl connected with other community organizations throughout the Roanoke Valley that offer opportunities for youth.

During the afternoon keynote session, I spoke of how my childhood and my involvement with a mentor from Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Roanoke Valley spurned my mentorship of young girls into becoming G.R.O.W. I introduced the Leadership Roanoke Valley to the G.R.O.W girls and how mentoring has changed the lives of those involved. Lastly, I challenged the members of the LRV to get involved in the life of a child through mentoring.

GROW Girls Introduce Mrs. Doyle at the RCPS Teacher of the Year Banquet